Each year Design World Magazine sponsors a Leadership In Engineering awards program. Based on reader nominations, companies are listed in any number of product categories. Then throughout the year, online voting takes place and the winners in each category are announced in December.
EPC is proud to be included in the 2012 Leadership In Engineering awards program in motion control category. We invite all our readers to vote for your top choices in each category and we trust you'll give due consideration to EPC! To Vote see our profile in Design World's March edition.
Here's a quick review of just a few of EPC's rotary encoder innovations:
1. The Cube: Let's start at EPC's beginning back in 1969. The Cube encoder was, and still is, inspired design. Simple, compact, robust and versatile. Many pretenders have come along in the past 43 years, but there's only one original Cube. And, outfitted with our latest Opto-ASIC technology, today's high performance "E-Cube" is, shall we say, a chip off the ol' block!
2. The Flex Mount: These days, thin, flexible steel mounting tethers are almost universally applied to hollow and thru-bore encoders. It's one of those features, like power steering is to automobiles, that is so common we don't give much thought to its origins. But, EPC actually developed the first flex-mount for a hollow bore encoder.
3. High Temperature Encoders: Not long ago most encoders topped out at 80C, but our engineering team set the bar higher by offering the first encoders rated up above 100C. Today, EPC's product line includes several encoder models that are rated up to 120C.
4. Linear Measurement Solutions: We didn't invent the wheel, but in 2004 we did set out to reinvent the encoder/wheel combination. The result was the TR1 TruTrac, an integrated encoder-pivot arm-measuring wheel solution. The TR1 TruTrac replaces an armload of parts with a compact, elegant one-piece design. The TR2 TruTrac applies a pinion gear instead of a wheel and operates on a plastic or stainless steel guide system. The TR3 Heavy Duty TruTrac is a larger, heavy duty version with robust all-metal design.
5. Versatile Motor Feedback- Designed with versatility in mind, the Model 25T features 0.25” through 1.125” bore sizes, 20C to 105C rating, IP66 seal and up to 10,000 CPR. Its housing design features a chemically stable, high-strength polymer and integral cooling fins. This lightweight design means less mass is attached to the mounting shaft, an important benefit in motor applications. Due to its relatively compact design, this single unit eliminates the need for separate size 20, 25 and 35 through bore encoders.
6. Advanced Sensor Technology At the heart of EPC’s preeminence in encoder performance is the company’s Advanced Opto-ASIC sensor design. This feature combines many previous board-level functions into a single chip. It allows for greatly reduced size and a stable signal output over a wide range of harsh operating conditions, thanks to a wide disk-to-sensor air-gap and other factors.
7. Encoder Within An Encoder- The Model 725, with the Industrial Housing option, incorporates a feature that is ideal for harsh operating conditions. A first in industrial shaft encoder design, an internal encoder module is fitted to an internal flex mount inside the larger 2.5" housing, isolating the encoder electronics from shock and vibration. The internal encoder operates behind the safety of a rugged metal housing, heavy double-bearing set, O-ring seals and an IP66 shaft seal.
That's just a tiny sliver of the innovative engineering and design EPC has delivered over the last 43 years. We've got plenty more on the way and look forward to sharing our successes with you over the next 43 years.